Build a site like Atlassian Answers

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

I would like to build a site similar to atlassian answers and noticed it was done through confluence.  I would like recommendations on the best manner in which to implement, Cloud vs Standalone?   Any tips on best practices for an answers site?  Etc.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2014

The best answer is follow the practices of your company relative to cloud or standalone..  You need to buy confluence and the confluence answers plugin.  You also need a database.  Again, choose a database based upon what your company uses already.

There are more cost effective solutions if you are starting with nothing.  Confluence questions is cost effective if you already have Confluence.

You also need to understand your plan of how to maintain your site over the long term.

Paul DeSousa
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

Thanks, we already have confluence and JIRA but for purely inside, we do not use them externally. Have you launched such a thing before? In your opinion, what are the best practices for policing it? What is the best way to initially advertise it?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2014

Confluence Questions is a relatively new plugin, so my exposure is only as an user on Answers. I have done other forum based projects before. You have a major security issue if you are thinking opening up confluence to the external world (non-employees). Can you clarify more about the users of your answers system and how they would access your website? For example, would it be acceptable that the 'users' would use a VPN to access your Answer system?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events