trying to test xml backup from prod to test index directory is different what happens?

Venkatasubramanian__Chandramouli December 5, 2019

In prod indexes directory is nfs mounted, in test it is local , when i restore xml backup what will happen anything mess up prod? The nfs is not mounted in test server.please help

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2019

Hi,

If I understand the scenario here, you're creating an XML backup of your production site, and you intend to restore that backup to a different Jira installation.  

Restore an XML back in Jira is an overwriting process.  In which case, new data is entered into the test Jira instance database.  Once that data is entered the test site will create it's own indexes based off the data just created there.  This should no effect at all on the production site as long as these two Jira installations are on separate machines. 

That said I would still refer you to our documentation on Restoring data from an xml backup.  While I don't believe there is any chance that indexes will be effected in production because of a restore to a test site, there are other potential conflicts that can occur, such as both Jira sites trying to check mailboxes for incoming mail, or the test site sending out notifications.  Both can be addressed by step 1 in that guide which tells you how to disable the sending/receiving of email via JVM startup flags.

Let me know if you have any followup concerns about this.

Andy

Suggest an answer