how to manage documentation and test issues?

Hi, I am trying to find the best way to manage a complicated workflow and I need advices from more experienced users.

Here's the situation: For most of development issues, tests have to be performed and documentation has to be written.

I thought of to different ways of managing that in Jira:

1. Using the plugin "Create On Transition for JIRA" to automatically create a test subtask and a doc subtask (or linked issues), when a development issue gets resolved.

2. Adding custom fields in development issue ("doc has to be written": yes/no, "doc finished":yes/no, "doc assignee",...)

Did anybody already have to deal with a similar situation? What would you recommend me to do?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Timothy Chin Community Champion Oct 07, 2013

Either way should be fine. As long as you have the right workflow conditions and/or validators to make sure that the documentation and test issues have been completed before moving the main issue.

Another way is to include this process into your workflow and not let it split up into subtasks.

Thank you for your answer. I think I will choose the first option as the second one could become confusing.

I also thought of including these task in the developpment issue's workflow, but the problem is that I would need the workflow to have "parallel roads", as the doc task and test tasks can be performed at the same time, and it's not possible in Jira.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,316 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot