email being sent to both group and user

Ram Chalam October 9, 2014

Hi,

We have recently installed JIRA 6.3.5 and added email notification for all users.

All the users are permissioned via AD groups

Whenever someone acts on an issue, email notification is being sent to both the AD group and the user.

Should it not be sent just to the AD group only?

3 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2014

JIRA does not mail AD groups, it mails single email addresses.

The two possibilities I can think of are:

1.  One of your users has got an email address that is actually a group list on your mail server
  2. You have put "email JIRA group or role" into a notification scheme

As Ivan comments earlier, JIRA will effectively de-duplicate emails sent to a user, so if I'm the reporter, assignee and watching an issue, I will only get one email.  But if I've got a second account with the same email address, or a second account with a group/list email address (that I am in), then I will get duplicate mails because JIRA has no way to tell it's a duplicate.

0 votes
  • All Watchers
  • Current Assignee
  • Reporter

This is what I have setup for all projects - so if a user is bother Reporter and part of all All Watchers - would it send out twice?

Deleted user October 9, 2014

I think not, because notifications are unique. Maybe you have checked the option "Notify users of their own changes". You can look at: User Mangagment -> User preferences -> Notify users of their own changes

Sorry, cannot locate "User Mangagment -> User preferences -> Notify users of their own changes " Only have: Users, Groups, JIRA User Server and User Directories under User Management.

0 votes
Deleted user October 9, 2014
  1. Have you looked at notification scheme for the project?
  2. Have you looked at project roles to se which group/user is added to the "Project roles"?

Suggest an answer