Why are there two identical statuses with different workflows attached to them?

I'm wondering why there are two "In Progress" statuses in my list. I'm going through and cleaning up user defined statuses and came across duplicates.

Is there a limit of workflows that can be attached to each and a new status will be created to accommodate the rest?

Do the duplicates have a slight variation in their creation that caused them to split?

Is there a way to merge them together so all the workflows are listed under one status?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes

There's two because an admin, or a project admin for a project with "simplified workflows", has added it.  

They are independent of each other, and there's no limit to who can re-use either of them in other workflows.  The cause of the split is nothing to do with differences, it's purely that a human has added an identical one.

Merging - sorry, no, you'd have to open each workflow and edit it to swap the unwanted one to the one to keep and then delete.

Hi, I'm unable to recreate this problem. I've tried creating the same status in a workflow and in the admin/statuses/add status and when I spell it exactly the same it doesn't allow me to create. So I'm wondering how that specific status was created twice with different sets of workflows associated with them if I'm unable to recreate it.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,088 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you