When importing from another instance, can issue keys and issue numbers stay the same?

Danielle McGrath September 25, 2017

I need the issue key/ number to stay the same from the CSV to our new instance of JIRA. Is this possible?

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2017

Danielle,

Key will not be imported, it is generated by JIRA according to the project you are importing it into.  If you specifiy and map a key in an import, then the import is treated as an update to an existing issue.

Documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/importing-data-from-csv-861253680.html?_gac=1.220783338.1506009482.CjwKCAjwxo3OBRBpEiwAS7X62dTz2lusHVQ41uP63-z1wfwDhgOFfw4NcF_f-RbyoaGUTCSjXSNg2BoC5SYQAvD_BwE&_ga=2.143264757.1309587125.1506348434-2139828892.1496244810

You might check the market place and see if they have a tool that will meet your need.  A quick search brought this up and it might work for you.  https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator/server/overview

Kalai June 17, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Is this still the case?  We have a few projects to migrate and the issue key remaining the same is important for the team - the issue key is referenced in a lot of documents and in customer cases. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

@Kalai It is still the case.  You just need to make sure that you map the key if you would like to retain it.  I have migrated issues over to new projects and retained the key by mapping it in the CSV import.  Just make sure that the key is not already being used and you will be good to go.  

Like Kalai likes this
Kalai June 17, 2021

@Brant Schroeder Thank you for the quick response, we'll do that and update how it goes! 

Kalai June 17, 2021

@Brant Schroeder It worked fine!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I can't accept your answer though as it's not my question.

Suggest an answer