What is the difference between Planned Start Date and Basline Start Date ?

Michel Kogan November 10, 2014

Hi

I really have problem with the concepts. What is the planned start date and baseline start date ?

As there is absolutley no information about these options available in Polscheit's Gantt Chart plugin documentations, I just got really confused with the concepts.

As written in this link: http://www.ganttchart.com/BaselineGanttExample.html

"In project management, a baseline is the project's original plan."

And they have a "current plan" instead of "Planned plan". 

So what is the difference between Basline and Planned in JIRA Gantt Chart Plugin ?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

Please read on my wiki (https://polscheit.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GANTT/Create+Baseline)

Kind regards,
Frank 

I swear to God, it wasn't there when I wrote this question :D ... Great work Mr. Polscheit (y) and thanks for the post.

Just asking and as a suggestion ... Isn't it better to change "Planned Start Date" to "Current Plan Start Date" and so on ? Because it makes more sense to me and highlights the differences between "Planned schedule" and "Baseline schedule".

Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2014

No problem and you do not have to swear: based on your request, I have written that documentation this evening to help as soon as possible. There are so many different opinions about naming, that it is impossible to suit all of them including non-English wording etc. Therefore, I had implemented that mapping of custom fields within the add-on configuration as system admin. So, you can rename the Gantt custom fields as you like. Afterwards, you have to map them properly, so that my add-on knows, which custom field contains the "planned start" date etc. as an identification by name is no longer possible based on renaming. Kind regards, Frank PS.: more frequently, I am checking the add-on issues: create a new support request by clicking on the related menu item of the ?-menu at the top of my Gantt-Chart.

Like Brian Taylor likes this

Okay, thanks for the explanation and the great plugin.

Justin Justin November 28, 2014

Nice one Frank!

Suggest an answer