We have a custom field(select list) with values 1,2,3...70 and everytime the issue is created under

Priyanka khare December 2, 2020

Hello Team,

We have a custom field(select list) with values 1,2,3...70 and everytime the issue is created under a project we need that this field should auto increment itself. no number should appear twice and we dont want to do it manually. We do not have JMWE but we do have scriptrunner. 

Can this be achieved?

Regards

Priyanka

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

It's possible to do with Scriptrunner, but the script would be quite involved - it would have to run a search to find the current largest number, add one to it, insert an entry into the custom field options, then apply the new option to the issue.

I would not waste my time with this.  I would question the use for it.  I cannot think of any use for a field like this that could not be done better and more easily in another way.

Could you tell us why you have arrived at such a terribly useless bodge?  What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Priyanka khare December 2, 2020

Hello @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

First of all I am so glad that you took my question. Thankyou for helping people in Atlassian community.

So coming back to use case- I want to pull those issues in the dashboard for reporting purpose. We can then export that report from the dashboard gadget.

Regards

Priyanka

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

That's not a use case.  The whole point of a field is that you want to report on it somehow.

Could you explain what reporting problem you are trying to solve with this field?

Suggest an answer