Subtask option not available

Jessica Salver April 25, 2017

I have just started configuring our JIRA account and entered the first couple of storys. However, it is not possible to create subtasks for a story. Normally, you select "More > Create Sub-Task" but in my case, there is no "More" button.

I have administrator rights, subtasks are enabled and the subtask issue type is added to the project's issue type scheme. What else do I need to do in order to make it work?

One thing that seems strange to me is that when I change the default issue type from story to task and then create a new issue, the default setting is still story and not task. I saved all settings and changes and even logged out and in again. However, my new settings don't apply to my project.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jessica Salver April 26, 2017

All right. I found the solution. It was not a problem of configurations. The option has always been there from the beginning. However, instead of the "More"-Link next to the other options underneath the title, there is a small icon with 3 dots on the far right of the site. There I can find all options normally listed under the "More"-Link. Strange solution, not very user-friendly and different from what I used to know. But I'm happy as long as it's there!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2017

"normally you select more".  The three dots button is the more link.

I think you neglected to mention that you have upgraded from a version where "more" was over to the left to a version that relocates and re-labelled it.

Jessica Salver April 27, 2017

No upgrade done. It was a fresh account. In this case, it's probably the new standard. Anyway, as long as it's there ;-)

0 votes
Jordan Berry April 25, 2017

I beleive you need to enable sub-tasks. As far as I remember, it is not enabled from the beginning. Try G+G "Sub-Task"

Subtasks are enabled. I tried to deactivate and then activate them again. However, no change afterwards. The problem still exists.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2017

If it were just the sub-tasks missing from the menu, then I'd say your project has no sub-task types in the issue type scheme, but a missing "more" button implies you don't have access to the project beyond "browse".

What does that mean? I initiated the JIRA account and am administrator.

Suggest an answer