Sub-tasks auto-creating without any add-on?

Qing Zhang November 20, 2019

Hallo commuity,

I have a hard time to find a work-aroud answer for this function. I hope someone can help me with that.

What I want to achieve are:

1. Auto-creation of Sub-tasks while creating a story.
  2. Auto-creation of Sub-tasks while make a transition of the story.

I am aware of that all these function can be easily achieved with Jira automation Pro or Script runner and other similar add-ons. But our company doesn´t have any of them.

I have found out that "Post-functions" in the workflow may provide something. But I havent find anything about "Auto-Creation of Issue/Sub-tasks" from Post-Function. 

Does anyone know how to achieve that without any Add-on? (At least without any add-on that has to be paid for.......) We have Jira Server.

Thanks a lot!

Greetings

Qing

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

Be careful about using a free plugin for a function you can't live without. They sometimes quit being updated for new JIRA releases that have functions you need or want or become paid for plugins. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2019

While that may be true, and with the acquisition of Codebarrel (author) Atlassian may decide to take away free they may also plan to offer unlimited for free by integrating. I plan to discuss the future of A4J with Atlassian during the 2020 summit. Regardless, the longevity of the addon is solid IMO and is one of the best automation addons for automation, again IMO.

Thank you all again for the support!

Have a nice day!

Greetings

Like Judy Colonero likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2019

There is no OOTB solution for this. Consider Automation Lite for Jira which allows for 300 automation executions each month. Be sure to create an automation that is triggered very specifically so you don’t run out each month.

Hi Jack,

thanks for your reply.

However, I have checked about Automation Lite in the "Feature checklist" here: https://docs.automationforjira.com/getting-started/getting-the-right-version.html#pro-vs-lite 

Because we have the Jira Server product and In this table under Automation for Jira Server Lite "create sub-tasks" action is not supported.

Is this "Feature checklist" correct?  or do I have some misunderstanding about that?

Thanks again!

Qing

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 20, 2019

I cannot say TBH. I am on cloud and I know for sure I can create sub-tasks. I would be quite surprised if it is not there. Two easy ways to find out:

• install and give it a try it is free
  • send a support request to inquire to Codebarrel

Suggest an answer