Stop Users from using the Configure Fields option when creating a new Jira?

Karrl Richardson July 1, 2012

We are about to upgrade our 4.4 version of Jira to V5.

Whilst testing the new version I have noticed that users now have the ability to choose the fields that they can complete when creating a new Jira.

"Configure Fields"

I would like to be able to lock this so users have to complete the fields that we need them to and not just the minimum they think they need.

We use a number of custom fields for agile sprint boards etc.

I have looked through the documentation but not found any way to control this feature.

Thanks for your help.

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Taylor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

Presumably this ability cannot override your having marked a field as 'mandatory'?

Hi Alex

Thanks for the reply, Mandatory Fields is not something I have attempted,

I have looked at the help for mandatory fields and looks like a life changing exercise to set them up. :)

I have taken over the Admin role for Jira and still learning.......

Cheers

Alex Taylor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2012

Well, it's the only way to ensure your users enter values in those fields...simply putting them on the screen isn't enough :-)

Setting them up is not complicated - you need a Field Configuration, which you associate with the Issue Type or Types you want to use it with, and in that you can specify which fields are mandatory for those Types.

We set up a Field Configuration for each Issue Type so that if our needs change in the future it's only necessary to change the configuration for the affect Type(s), rather than having to remap everything.

Thanks Alex,

Although it loks complicated to set Up I have performed a quick test and this does resolve my question.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.

Regards

Karrl

Suggest an answer