Status change in bulk for various issue types

keren yerushalmi June 29, 2021

We need to perform bulk change for various issue types, on a single operation (meaning not to change US separately, EPIC separately etc) 

We need to change the status of all to in promotion and then in test

We were told it cant be done since every issue type has it's own workflow 

Is there a solution for that? add-on that can be used to solve this?

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2021

You can do this if:

1. You can construct a JQL to capture all of these issue AND
  2. All of the issues share the same workflow

Thanks, but I'm looking for an option for issues that does NOT have same workflow, is it possible? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2021

No that is not possible. If you attempt the Jira will split the disparate issues and ask that you choose which to change. Then you would need to repeat and do the other group of issues. 

ok thanks

Hi Again Jack another option I thought about, maybe we can align the workflow of all issues to be the same from the point we need this bulk change (to "in promotion" --> "In Test") - will it work? or we need the entire workflow to be the same?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2021

So I’m confused here and want to step back. Why are you performing this bulk update? Why do you need to do it all at once? How often will this be done? Generally bulk edit is a rare activity.

now that aside, yes if you associate all issuetypes to a single workflow it should work. Note that sub tasks I think must be done separately. You would want to test/verify that.

This operation is used by our Devops team - on daily basis - for few projects. 

once a build is done they need to fetch all issues that are in "ready to promote" move them all to "In promotion" and once build is done successfully move them all to "in test" 

how it is done in other projects in the industry? do you know?

Suggest an answer