[Solved] Structure: Stories cannot be linked under Epics

Nora Tombers October 22, 2019

Hello,

I have created an automated hierarchy to display our Team's Work. We are working according to Portfolio SAFe and therefore have Portfolio, Program and Team items. The Portfolio Items are represented by an Issue Type called "Portfolio", the Program Items are "Epics" and the relevant Team Items are in this case by the type "User Story". The hierarchy looks the following:

• Portfolio 1
    • Epic 1
      • User Story 1
      • User Story 2
    • Epic 2
      • User Story 3
      • User Story 4
    • Epic 3
      • User Story 5
      • User Story 6
  • Portfolio 2
    • Epic 4

In my structure, I pulled first on the highest level all "Portfolio" Items by using the automation Insert through "Insert issues: issue Type = Portfolio".

Secondly, using Extend I link all "Program" Items to them. Since we have linked Portfolio and Program level manually in every item through "Issue Link" by "Reference", I could use "Add issues linked by Reference: parent relates to children".

Lastly, I would like to extend these Epics with their Stories. However, If I add the Extend "Add issues belonging to epics" nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong, or what am I missing?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 23, 2019

Hello Nora,

If you're on Jira Server, there can be several reasons for Stories not appearing in the structure. Can you please check the following:

- Stories are connected with their Epics with the Epic Link. If there's a different link type, then you should use another 'Linked Issues' Extend generator instead;
- Stories are from the same project as Epics. If they are from a different project, please check if Structure is enabled for this project at Administration | Structure | Projects with Structure. Issues from projects that are not on the list there can't be added to structures;
- Make sure that you can see these Stories in Jira. If issues are not accessible to you, then you also won't be able to see them in structures;
- Please double click on any added Generator in the structure and check the user stated in the 'Runs As' field. This user is the structure's owner and all Generators run from under this user, even when a Generator is added by another user. So in case you're not the owner, please check if the owner has access to Stories in Jira. If these issues are not visible, then it will not be possible to add them to the structure as long as either the owner gets access to issues or the owner is changed to another user.

I hope this helps! If Stories are still not added to the structure after checking all of the above, please contact us at support.almworks.com for the proper support since an investigation might require to figure out why the problem is there.

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Nora Tombers October 23, 2019

Thanks for your answer. I did not activate the plugin in the differnt projects. Now it works!

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 23, 2019

Great, it's good to know that the problem was resolved! Thank you for telling me.

If you need our assistance with anything else in the future, please feel free to reach out via Service Desk, we're always glad to help.

Best regards,

Stepan Kholodov

Rodrigo Goncalves January 5, 2021

Hi, I guess this was working before, but I couldn't find this configuration anymore. When I manually add one Epic, the stories from another project don't get imported and shown in the structure board only the stories in the same project. But if I use the automations it works as expected (but then I lose the ability to organize into folders) :-( 

Bit not smart at all.

Any alternative? Or any config I'm missing?

Thanks!

Rodrigo Goncalves

David Niro
Marketplace Partner
January 6, 2021

Hello Rodrigo,

David from ALM Works here.  Could you please email us at support@almworks.com? We will be able to better assist you through our support channel.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
David

Suggest an answer