Security Level Field not showing issue security levels

Andrei Iorga May 6, 2020

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the Security Levels for Jira. I am currently using Jira Software version 8.7.1 and Jira Service Desk version 4.7.1.
I have followed the steps from https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html?_ga=2.37084832.1496644020.1588679265-1291896313.1553518310 and everything seemed to work ok, but when I try to create a new issue, in the Security Level field I can choose only the value 'None'. The newly created issue security levels do not appear there and I don't quite understand why.

Another mention would be that the user with which I am trying to test this has the "Set Issue Security" permission granted.

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2020

To select a security level, you have to have "set issue security" permission, and also match the rule for the option you want to set.

Imagine a security scheme of:

• None - everyone who can see the project can see this issue
  • Secret - people in role of "spy"
  • Top Secret - people in the group "MI6"

If I'm a "spy", I can set issues to "secret", but not "Top Secret".  If I'm in the MI6 group, I can set "Top Secret", but not "Secret".   To set either, I have to be a Spy and in the MI6 group.

Andrei Iorga May 7, 2020

Thank you, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-   the problem was that in security level i put a group in which my user was not in. After adding him in group it worked.

Like InfoWatch IT Team likes this
Juan José Marchal Gómez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- very good way fo understanding.

Also, this is similar as happens with Dashboard sharing.

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer