Scrum Board - Sub Tasks

Sonali Methi December 23, 2015

I have 90 subtasks under 1 parent project. Right now my parent project is setup as Story and all the tasks under it are sub tasks. I am trying to create a Scrum board using a filter to bring in all the subtasks but nothing shows up on the board.

Filter Query: project = NE AND parent = NE-121 AND Status != DONE ORDER BY Rank ASC

What's the issue here? Thanks for your help!

3 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2015

What happens when you enter that JQL in the "Search Issues"? Can you just use "Project = NE AND issuekey = NE-121" then in your board set it up so that the sub-tasks will be displayed?

Also, why not try using EPICS instead of Story then Sub-Tasks?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2015

I assume you mean nothing shows up in planning - sub tasks don't show there because it's pointless - they follow the ranking of their parents, it's a logical nonsense to rank subtasks outside their parent.  Do they show on the board ok?

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2015

Hi Sonali,

Please read the thread posted https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/291555

And its not a best practice to have project set up as a story. JIRA provides JIRA project, Epics and Stories. Good to use Epic for a big part of work to be executed and then divided into stories to work in Agile Scrum and smallest tasks can be done as sub-tasks.

Hope this helps

Regards

Chander Inguva

Suggest an answer