Same custom field in multiple tabs?

Claudine Rooney August 21, 2013

How can I have the same custom field in multiple tabs?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2013

Hi Claudine,

I believe this is not possible, since the tabs are just for better organizing the components/layout of a screen. You can add a custom field to multiple screens, though, by setting the Custom Field properties. This link will tell you how:

- https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+a+Custom+Field

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

0 votes
Gordon Walsh August 21, 2013

ok thanks for the prompt reply

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2013

No - once you've added a field to a screen, you can't add it again, even if it is tabbed.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2019

Is there no way around this, maybe with a plugin?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2019

You could use ScriptRunner to duplicate the field, but that's annoying for admins who are often engaged in a running battle with fielditis, and confusing for users who would not expect a field in one tab to update another one.

Pieter Kuppens November 5, 2019

Too bad that this is the answer, and it still seems to be the case in Jira cloud in 2019.

I could really use the same feature: I have a very large form with some Master-Detail relations.

E.g. on tab 1 I have a button to select if something is an 'Investigation Required'. On a different tab I want to repeat that value, and add fields 'Investigation Plan', 'Investigation Summary'. This field is only required when 'Investigation Required' = 'true', so the user should not feel compelled to fill these values when not required to. But I still want it optional..

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 9, 2019

No, jira does not do field level security.  You can, or can not, see an issue, but there is no partial view

Suggest an answer