Renaming a project?

Jennnifer O'Brien August 11, 2013

Hi, are you able to rename a top level project? We have projects setup and they have sub tasks and issues attached. Is it possible to rename the project or will this mess all the key names up? thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Andrew
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 30, 2014

You now edit a project key, if you are using JIRA 6.1 or later. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Editing+a+Project+Key

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2013

Hi Jeninnifer,

It is possible to edit a project name, but there's no way for editing the Project Key yet. The only way for editing a project key for now would be by exporting a JIRA Backup, edit the entities.xml file and replace the current project key for another one. After that, restore the backup file in JIRA and you'll have a new project key.

In JIRA 6.1, it will be possible rename the Project Key. The feature request is being tracked here:

- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2703

That said, I strongly suggest you to wait until the release of JIRA 6.1 to safely edit the project key instead of hacking the JIRA backup file. :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

LeahH October 14, 2016

I think you forgot to answer the original question?

It is possible to edit a project name - How?

Bonnie Tan October 23, 2018

Go to Project Settings and find the Details, then rename the project name and save.

0 votes
Darja Odorovska December 4, 2019

I have project X (new) and now I want to remove ''(new)'' and lave it is a project X only. When I do it in project Settings/Details. Following is happening, what am I missing:

1)For some projects all work as expected

2)For some- tickets are disappeared/hidden only from the board (kan ban or sprint)

3)For some tickets are disappeared (hidden, since I see number issue count) for boards and backlog.

Thank You in advance for your help.

Suggest an answer