Regarding Subtask

Vaishnavi October 14, 2013

Hi,

I am fresher who passed out from college and started working in jira.i have created workflows and able to create tasks and assign.

now i face problem in creating subtasks.

how to create separate workflow for subtasks and link with main workflow or should i use any plugin?

i am totally confused with these subtasks

can anyone provide me the solution???

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2013

1) go to Administration->Issues->Issue Types->Sub-Tasks->Add Sub-Task Issue Type you see the following screen

give subtask name

or

go to Administration->Issues->Issue Types->Issue Types->Add Issue Type

choose Sub-Task Issue Type and give a name to it.

If you are using Default Issue Type scheme, then no need to bother about adding your created Sub-Task Type to project because bydefault they get added to Default Issue Type Scheme.

If you are using any other Issue Type Scheme, then you need to add.

2) you said that you know how to create workflows. create a separate workflow for your subtask type if required.

#now go to the workflow scheme associated to your project

#Administration->Issues->Workflows->WorkflowSchemes->{your workflow scheme associated to project}

#since your workflow scheme is active, make a copy of it.

#now go to copy of your workflow scheme press Associate an Issue Type with a workflow

#give your workflow to your created subtask.

#now go to your project, go to workflow scheme, right click the cog icon, press switch scheme, use your copied workflow scheme.

Vaishnavi October 14, 2013

thanks a lot,i have created workflow for subtask and linked with main flow.

Vaishnavi October 16, 2013

Have one more question to ask,not clear abt auto transtition between stauses in parent issue when subtasks are done.

I have gone through answers which people have posted,but seems bit difficult to understand,because just now started wit jira.

Is there anythng to do with post functions or validators or postfunctions?or should i use any plugin which people have suggested?

pls help me with this?

Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2013

accept answer, it will help others.

1 vote
John Bishop
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2013

First you create the subtask issue type.

Then in the workflow scheme for your project, you associate the new subtask issue type with the appropriate workflow. If you want your subtasks to have a unique workflow then you will need to create it, just like you would create any other workflow. If not, you can associate it with any existing workflow.

You will also need to add the subtask issue type to the project's issue type scheme, issue type screen scheme, and field configuration scheme.

Suggest an answer