Possible to change the label of a field in the edit screen?

Yamuna Ramasubramaniyan November 8, 2017

I want to add story points to my Task issue type's edit screen, but call the label Estimate, just like it appears in the Backlog view.  Is this possible?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

@Yamuna Ramasubramaniyan, You could change the field name but that would be global and I am not entirely sure of the ramifications.  A better way might be to update the fields description, either on the global field object or the field configuration scheme letting the user know this is an estimate.

You could also get really creative and create a new field called estimate and then use one of the workflow add-ons to copy the value to the story point field upon create or transition.

,pd

Yamuna Ramasubramaniyan November 8, 2017

Thanks Peter.  Yes, am wary of changing the name of the field as well.  I was hoping to use the same Estimate field label that Jira shows in the backlog view everywhere.  The new field idea is also interesting, but not sure the roi compares to just telling my users to get used to seeing story points and estimates as the same thing :)

Suggest an answer