Moving an issue does not show up Affects version field to select value

Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 22, 2014

Hi Experts,

I noticed something when moving issue from one issue type to another in the same project and I am not sure if this is an issue.

Case 1: An issue has no sub tasks.

I tried to move this issue and in one of the move screens i was able to see the "Affects version" field and i could select the value for it while moving.

Case 2: As issue has at least 1 sub-task. 

I tried to move this issue but i was not able to see the "Affects version" field to select value (also a few other fields were not listed).

Is this the expected behaviour in Case 2? I am assuming JIRA considers it as a multiple issue move.

For the target issue type we have "Affects version" as a mandatory field so we are unable to move issue in case 2.
I understand that we can set issue with the value of Affects version and then move, but just wanted to know if this is the expected behaviour although the move is within the project.

Note : JIRA Version 6.3.1

Thank you in advance. 

1 answer

0 votes
Swapna Kumar Vemula [Zephyr]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2014

Hello Parashar,

I just tried case 1 and case 2 as you mentioned and have moved the issues successfully.However, I got some errors if the fields are empty or not filled in source issue. I could notice while moving the issues JIRA checks only mandatory fields to be updated if they are not filled and all other fields are updated automatically with default values in target issue.

And that doesn't matter if there is a sub-task to an issue or not, it will be moved along with the parent issue as everything remains same within the project.

The error that displays on the screen will precise what the issue actually, as JIRA throws an error if it cannot fetch/found a particular field.

Parashar Joshi
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2014

Hi Swapna, Thank you for your inputs. We had logged a support ticket with Atlassian and they were able to reproduce the issue. Here is the issue url, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41363. Thanks, Parashar

Suggest an answer