Mail queue limit?

I saw some interesting behavior today that resulted in JIRA outgoing email not being sent for 18 hours, so there were 26K mail items to send. The outgoing mail log had an error about the mail queue being considered stuck, which apparently stops all mail from being sent. So I bypassed that first stuck mail item and flushed the queue. The mail queue then grew to 45K mail items before JIRA was able to get ahead of the flood!

There were no large bulk updates or scripts making large numbers of edits or huge subscriptions that I could see. Does anyone have ideas on what might have caused this? I'm scratching my head at the moment.

Also, the mail queue page doesn't show 45K lines of mail items, but I couldn't find where the limit is set on how many it does show. Perhaps something about webwork iterator has a limit?

2 answers

This happened to one of our instance and the culprit was the ALMQC Synchronizer (Orasi). I cannot remember the exact reason but maybe a big. We also have found several accounts that are already inactive (so their email address is invalid) and JIRA was trying to send email to those. What we did was to set those accounts to "INACTIVE" so JIRA won't send email to those anymore.

0 votes

I've seen it happen when a listener is not able to work properly and blocks the single threaded mail queue. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,739 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot