Log Work - if the type of work needs to be handled in a field on an individual time entry, how can that be done?

Ben Myhre April 20, 2016

The goal is to allow one resource to enter time with different billing types to the same JIRA issue. So, I might enter an hour to issue XYZABC-1 with a 'Underwater Basketweaving' type of work that ends up translating to a bill rate of x dollars. . Then later that day, I might add an hour of work to XYZABC-1 with a type named 'Nuclear Engineering' that translates to a bill rate of x + 5 dollars. 

1 answer

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2016

We've used sub-tasks or different issues to log time against objects that can then be calculated correctly. 

I've seen https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.adweb.estimations.estimationUpdate/server/overview which seems to be well liked.

Ben Myhre April 20, 2016

We have discussed using different issues as well, but feel that could get difficult to manage. So, a task could possibly have 5 or 6 different types of work that might need to correlate with each other. One for QA, which may need to easily tie back to web dev or SE or creative versions of the same. Suddenly, changing the assignee could become a nightmare. 

That plugin is interesting as well. It looks like it is right along the lines of the sort of thing we would want.  

Suggest an answer