Keep fields in sync (parent-child, subtask etc.)

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2013

Hey,

just a quick one:

What's the best way to keep field values in sync, meaning parent values in subtasks, values in certain linked issues etc...statuses across projects.

There are plugins (e.g. smart linking plugin) that can do parts of what I want but not everything. The other thing I've tried are scripted fields but they kind of duplicate values and I would have to create a lot of them...Post-functions aswell but I'd need the fields/statuses updated instantly.

Are listeners the way to go? I mean I would have to create a few but searching all over (Answers aswell) in general that was the preferred answer...

It would be great to simply have a "view" of a field that's part of another isse. I guess many of you are facing that problem...

5 answers

1 vote
Jos Braaksma May 15, 2013
have a look at Slingshot Updatefields. It's a Configurable Listener for exactly your usecase. It's published to work for 5.1-5.2, what version are you on, cause there is a good chance it will work on lower versions. (disclosure: I'm the author)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2013

Hey, I'll give it a try:-)

1 vote
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

... Or try JJUpin. With the Live Fields feature you can synchonize some fields for sure directly on editing them. Listeners are also a valid approach. In the end, this solution is flexible .... and can do what you want, I guess.

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

You can use the EXOCET plugin, it has a possibility for sychronization.

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

That's the smart linking plugin I was referring to :-) Right now I don't have the possibility to update JIRA and the newest version is for JIRA 5.1 and upwards...

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2013

Well the predecessor (LNIO) of this plugin does not have this sync feature. So, was worth a try. Hope you find what you need until you can upgrade your JIRA.

0 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2021

Hi there,

Jira automation also provides this functionality. Here is a video tutorial link: https://youtu.be/DcPYrw-Puus

Regards.

0 votes
Tansu Kahyaoglu August 18, 2013
Hello, Which JIRA version do you have? You may try https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.obss.plugin.fieldSync if it's suits you Feedback is always welcome :)
NocRC NocRC August 20, 2013

Hey, I tried this, but I am missing the synchromizsation from subtask to parent issue (it works the other way around). Do you know anything about that?

Tansu Kahyaoglu August 20, 2013

Actually plugin is meant to work that way but it's a good point. Next version will have this feature =)

Suggest an answer