Jira status colours seem wrong. Blue means complete/done, not green - can this be changed?

Karl Hamilton July 24, 2019

Jira status colours seem wrong.  Blue means complete/done, not green - can this be changed?

Proposed colours for status

Blue done/complete

Green - in progress

Amber - open

3 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

The new colours look right to me. Better than the old blue/yellow/green

Green universally means "good", which translates to "nothing to do here" in Jira, so it's still the best choice for "done"

Blue is a relatively neutral colour, and grey is completely neutral, but they do have a good contrast.

Red and Yellow are bad choices of colour for indicators, and Amber is an even worse choice because it's between them.  The most common form of colour blindness is red/green and a lot of people would struggle with your open/in-progress.  It's even worse for the other big type of colour-blindness, where yellow and blue can be indistinguishable.

karl_hamilton July 24, 2019

As companies transition from project management to AGILE pm is usually universally blue complete and green going well.

They are just colours but I would see nothing wrong with keeping this standard for familiarity

Like Nirmani Kalakheti likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

Yeah, that's something I see as wrong in Agile, as humans instinctively see green as nothing to worry about, and blue as something they might.

Like karl_hamilton likes this
0 votes
Rajesh Ramankutty July 24, 2019

It will be wrong from your point of view

yes you can change the color simply by using plugin https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1214981/new-status-colors-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Thanks for your response Rajesh...

The company I’m working for rarely allows new plugins

i think we should be allowed to configure this ourselves from standard jira

Like # people like this
0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2019

Hi Karl,

what makes you think that the colors are "wrong"? And I just put the word in quotes because different tools handle colors for statuses (categories) very differently. Atlassian decided to use these colors and just updated them slightly as well to match the new design direction. You could alter the color using third-party apps or browser extension modifying CSS.

Best, Max

Thanks for your response max.

As companies transition from project management to AGILE pm is usually universally blue complete and green going well.

They are just colours but I would see nothing wrong with keeping this standard for familiarity

Like Nirmani Kalakheti likes this

Suggest an answer