Jira Export Custom Fields to Excel

Hemanshu Sood March 9, 2018

Hi, is there any way to export custom fields along with their values to excel? Please suggest an addon(if any) for this

7 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2018

Better Excel Exporter supports all built-in system fields, all built-in custom fields and the majority of the popular 3rd party custom field types.

You can try free if this fits your use case.

e22d75cc-9165-493a-81b4-bd223e2a428c

2 votes
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2018

I'm confused.

You can directly export the issues and have the custom field values embedded (as direct values only, not reference).

Though, if you wish, you can of course directly query in the database.

You only need to check 3 tables. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2018

Indeed.  Run a filter for the issues you want to see the custom field values for, choose the right columns, export to CSV, and open the result in Excel.  It's built in, you don't need add-ons or anything

Hemanshu Sood March 12, 2018

Hi Nic, the filter works fine, but while excel exporting, all the fields for all the issues along with issue details, default and custom fields get printed in the excel sheet. My requirement stands still: I want to export only custom fields(values and definition) being used in my Jira instance to an excel file. Please guide

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

Same answer - choose the columns you want in the export and export it to CSV - you should have seen the "CSV (current fields)" right next to the "CSV (all fields)" option you've used before.

If we have more than 1000 custom fields, just want to export only certain kinds of fields(like picker kind of or date kind of), is it possible with this solution?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 12, 2018

Yes, although it's not done by type, you have to choose the columns you want to download.

Like marton_tozser likes this

Thank you Nic.

Atlassian Learner November 18, 2021

Hi

may i now the exact filter u used to extract the custem fields in jira cloud

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Filters do not extract custom fields, they give you a list of issues that match a query.

For an "extract", you probably want to use "export" in the issue navigator, which can give you all the fields that it is currently displaying when it show your list of results.

JGJUNK August 31, 2022

Follow up on comment above - "CSV (all fields)." 

This option does not appear my export drop down. I only see CSV (current fields). Why might that be?

1 vote
Atlassian Learner November 18, 2021

Is there any builty in option to extratct all the custem fields in my instance . if exist then please give a conclusion or this

1 vote
Gezim Shehu [Communardo]
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

Use the database.

You can either connect directly to it, or use a SQL addon.

If am not mistaken something like "SQL Driver for JIRA"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2018

No.  Do not.  The query required for even the most basic issue download is hideous and this way lies madness.

Like # people like this
gil cooper February 12, 2020

I do it all the time and have no problem at all

Like # people like this
0 votes
Samantha Sales April 8, 2022

Is there a way to export it without it saying "Custom field" in the spreadsheet? I am trying to export but it keeps listing as follows: Custom field (item name). 

0 votes
Andreas Meier March 9, 2018

Hi

There are other export-AddOns too - we use

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xpandit.plugins.jiraxporter/cloud/overview

and are very sattisfied

JD Lobue March 1, 2021

Does this app allow a dump of all custom fields regardless of issueID? I'm not seeing a way to use this to pull all CustomFields that are in my instance.

0 votes
Charly [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2018

Hi @Hemanshu Sood

You can check this app in the marketplace:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deiser.jira.exporter/server/overview

This app will give you a lot of different functionalities to export your data from jira.

Cheers

Suggest an answer