Jira Data Center + SAML + Asure AD

Michael Johnston August 8, 2022

Does anyone have a good guide that I could use to connect our Jira Data Center to our Asure AD via SAML?  I'm connected to AD and able to pull users and groups.  My problem is that I cannot find the answers for some of the fields in the Add new configuration wizard or they're not lining up with what's being provided with the JIRA SAML SSO by Microsoft plugin in Azure.  For example, where would I find my Single sign-on issuer and Identity provider single sign-on URL?  Can I use the default username mapping of {NameID} as given in the example below the field? 

Sorry if this is a fundamental question.  Newbie here and haven't done anything with SAML before. :)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2022

@Michael Johnston Those will be nuanced depending on your IdP. If you haven't seen it yet, here is an Atlassian document that provides more detailed information on some of those items you listed above.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/saml-sso-for-jira-data-center-applications-938847031.html

I am sure you have already seen this but for others who haven't, MS actually has a really good document for this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/jiramicrosoft-tutorial

For the {NameID} variable, I think its something like UserPrincipleName for AD

Michael Johnston August 9, 2022

Thank you very much for the document!  I had found it before, but I glanced through it and skipped the part about installing the Azure add-on.   I was using the default SSO that comes built into Jira.  As soon as I added that, everything lined up. 

I will say that another thing that tripped me up was the server.xml file not having secure="true" in the Catalina section. 

1 vote
Aditya_miniOrange August 9, 2022

Hi @Michael Johnston 

Welcome to the Community

It seems you are looking to configure SAML Azure Ad with Jira.

You can have a look at the Jira SAML SSO app link at the marketplace for reference: miniOrange Jira SAML SSO.

We will definitely help you out with the end-to-end configuration of the plugin and ensure that your use case is achieved. We provide 24/7 support and can get on a quick call as and when required to assist you.

This plugin has support for custom SSO solutions along with a number of feature sets that will enhance your user experience for the Jira.

Here is the step-by-step guide to configuring SAML with Azure AD. This guide will help you set up a complete SSO flow with Azure AD. In addition to this, the plugin provides a wide range of features that will enhance the user experience in Jira.

Feel free to reach out to us at support-atlassian@miniorange.atlassian.net or the customer portal in case if you need any assistance to set up the plugin for your use case.

Thanks,

Aditya Kekre

P.S I work for miniOrange, the top SSO vendor on the Atlassian Marketplace. 

Suggest an answer