JIRA admin tasks require continuous logging in

Ashley Halliday May 11, 2014

Hi all - every time I attempt to do JIRA admin tasks (add users, create projects - anything at all), I will have to log in with my admin password many, many times. I will generally get one click, maybe two, and for any activity using a popup, I have about only a 25% success rate using these as it keeps requesting an admin login and dropping the previous information. If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Hi Donald,

I've seen this happen when I had a machine with time drift, on a VM machine this will happen if you don't have Guest Addons/VMware tools installed. After I installed VM tools this sympton vanished.

Best regards,

Felipe Alencastro

Ashley Halliday May 14, 2014

Thanks Felipe - I am using AWS. Do you have any idea if this is an issue with these environment at all?

FelipeA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2014

Do you have ntpd running on it? If not, try installing/starting it up and restart JIRA to check if it solves.

Ashley Halliday May 15, 2014

I think that this fixed it - thank you!

2 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2014

Hi Donald,

For security reasons, is expected that everytime you attempt to do an administration task, the login screen will appear again. This method is to avoid that someone can perform administrations tasks if you forget you jira logged in.

You'll be able to remove Secure Administrator Sessions by disabling this feature by specifying the following line in your jira-config.properties file:
jira.websudo.is.disabled = true

* You will need to restart your JIRA server for this setting to take effect.

Please check here for more details: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Secure+Administrator+Sessions

PS: If you are being competely logged out, it might be related to SSO or even Jira Default Timeout.

Cheers!

This is something that is happening so often, I can't even update the plug-ins. Every time the list of add ons require updates refreshes (or more accurately, tries to refresh), I am thrown into a admin login screen. I am completely unable to update the add-ons or even view the list any more.

0 votes
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 14, 2014

Are you running any external scripts with your credentials? That happens a lot at my company. Someone will write a REST application that does some crazy thing and use their own credentials. Then when they change their password the script keeps pounding at the server using the old password forcing their account to be locked regularly.

Hi Mike - thank you for the response. I am not running any external scripts that I know of - I am one of a few admins so I will investigate further

Suggest an answer