JIRA Time Tracking to include Linked Issues

We are making uses of Epics, Stories, Tasks and Subtasks for this new project I am working on.

For time-tracking, I know you can have a task's time track to include a sub-task's time track... but what about linked issues?

Tasks link to Stories which linke to Epics... so is there a way of time-tracking at the Epic level of all the stories and their various tasks? It seems you can only have a task track it's subtasks.. but there is no way for an activity to track activities that are linked to it.

3 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
2 votes

You can write that yourself using a scripted field from the script runner plugin, or AFAIK, the Structure plugin can roll up timetracking based on links. The latter I think is relatively easy but commercial.

Indeed, Structure lets you construct a hierarchy based on Epic-Story-Subtask relationships and links between those and other isssues, all at the same time; then the "Total Estimate" and "Total Time Spent" columns would show you the totals on the Structure board.

July 2015 and I still cannot believe that JIRA does not automatically estimate the time of a story based on subtasks and linked issues.

Why is not possible to do it out of the box?

neither do I smile. Did you find any plugin ?

There is an unconventional but convenient way of achieving this. Quantify Time Spent add-on goes beyond manual work logging with smart algorithms that estimate how much time people spent working on tickets. 

To the point of the original question -- it has flexible reporting capabilities, including Epic summary right on the ticket's page. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 9.43.50 AM.png

There is another plugin that works with the Jira's native work log -- https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213331/epic-sum-up-light

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

24,686 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you