JIRA Read only due dates

Simon May February 4, 2013

Please forgive me if this has been answered here already. I have tried searching but can't find the answer i'm looking for.

I currently run a JIRA project where there are task and sub-tasks.

I am assignee for the task and then there are sub-tasks which the person responsible for the action will be assignee.

I would like to be able to give them read-only due dates (manually - different dates for different tasks) and if they want the date changed, only I (and others in my team if possible) would be able to change it.

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance,

Simon

3 answers

4 votes
r
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Have you considered using the "Schedule issue" permission? Grant your manager and yourself this project permission and this should cover most of the cases as you described.

Rad

I've not seen that, no. I am very new to JIRA to be honest.

I will definately look in to that though, there are 2 of us in my team plus my manager, so to be able to give all 3 of us permission would be great.

We would however want them to be able to add comments and close when they have completed the action.

r
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

have a look (provided you have the JIRA administrator rights) at this

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions#schedule Issues

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

I thought you won't be able to see due date if you have no Schedule Issue permission. But I was wrong. So Rads answers works!

I will definately give this a try, I've not got administrator rights at the moment, so will have to fight with the 'powers that be' to get them.

Once I've got those rights I'll have a play around with it.

Thanks Radequeaux!!

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2013

Hi Simon,

Field Level Security is not possible out of the box. Atlassian stated, they will not implement it (look here).

However, there's a commercial plugin for that (look here), but I did not try it yet.

Cheers

Thomas

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

The JFS plugin would not work here. There are a few fields (e.g. due date) you cannot add to the Field security scheme.

0 votes
Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Do you mean that you want the due date field to be only editable by you? I think this might be possible using JIRA Behaviour plugin. Unfortunately, the documentation for the plugin is currently down. :(

I would like the due date to be only editable by the main task owner. That would nearly always be me, unless I go on holiday for some time and my manager wants to be able to edit the due date, in which case she would be able to assign the main task to her and then edit the sub-tasks.

Does that make sense?

I think that would mean that only the assignee of the sub-task would be able to change the due-date and not the parent key owner. I would like to do the opposite of this if possible.

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

You should be able to set the 'due date' field to be only writeable with condition when current user is assignee.

Suggest an answer