JIRA CLOUD indexing missing

Chris Stanley July 25, 2017

I've made some changes to workflow that don't seem to be reflected in boards, so I've popped to Admin to re-index, but indexing is missing.Am I looking in the wrong place?

screenshot_2017-07-25_11.08.46_360.png

7 answers

2 votes
Dmitry Zagorovsky _StiltSoft_ October 4, 2017

As mentioned on page https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/what-s-new-686863216.html

05 Sep 2017 

Trying to re-index? Good news! JIRA now re-indexes sites and projects automatically, so Indexing and Re-indexing have been removed. We're rolling out this change gradually, so you might still see them for awhile.

But is seems not so automatically -- my dev instance is seems to be inconsistent.

0 votes
iCentris Admin August 9, 2018

Atlassian support responded, apparently they deprecated self-indexing in Cloud. "...we are currently upgrading our cloud infrastructure to make your Atlassian experience even better. A part of this change is that the old indexing functionality of JIRA has been deprecated. The most recent version of JIRA Cloud is no longer using the traditional indexing method and as such, the option to trigger a re-index has been removed."

Deleted user October 11, 2018

Yikes, So if we have a legitimate need to re-index our Jira Cloud instance, we just flat out can't.

0 votes
Ravi Balasubramanian November 6, 2017

Doesn't look like this is fixed. In my case it was the addition of 'Affected Version' to the Create Issue screen. Issues don't show up against the Versions in the Releases tab. 

Just raised a support ticket. Hopefully it gets resolved - did that work for anyone else?

0 votes
Jamie Roberts October 26, 2017

Does anyone have an open bug report for these inconsistencies they're seeing? I have another thread open here (see: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Why-can-user-not-see-issues-assigned-to-them-via-query-or-when/qaq-p/659133#U661172) that is unanswered. 

I go to the 'Support' page and when I click on the 'bug reports,' it takes me to the 'Try it for Free' JIRA software page. The status for JIRA Cloud is currently 'degraded' but 2 of our users have been experiencing this issue for 2 weeks, so we do not believe that has anything to do with our problem. 

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

You can also try going directly to the URL at https://yourname.atlassian.net/secure/admin/IndexAdmin.jspa

Dan Marcantel August 31, 2017

I am having the same problem. See screen shot.

It says indexing not required in this version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2017

There's an update rolling out (maybe fully rolled out?) that removes the need for end-users to have any access to re-index.

Jacob Gann September 2, 2017

I received the same 'Indexing is not required' message.  We use JIRA Cloud as well.  The only problem is that there are clear discrepancies between what my Issue Navigator Search displays and what the Details View of individual Issues displays.  I changed some Screens and Custom Fields and they have not been reflected in the Issue Navigator Search yet.  This seems like a problem that would usually be fixed by a re-index, but that function has been taken away.  Any idea what the alternate solution for something like this would be?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2017

There are a lot of reasons that might happen, it's just that the majority are "inconsistent index".  So we recommend that first, and follow up in the minority cases where it doesn't.

Now Cloud (allegedly) has that fixed, there's not a lot else to do on the end-user side.  All we can do is report disrepancies to Cloud support, because it's broken and they're the only ones with access to find and fix it.  Raise it with https://support.atlassian.com/contact

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

I think this needs to go to https://support.atlassian.com to find out where it's gone and why.  And, of course, how to trigger a re-index when you need to.

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Hi Chris

Click the Administration cog, then choose System. Scroll to the bottom and under the Advanced section is an Indexing menu

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

That is actually the screenshot that Chris is showing us.

Indexing should be shown above Attachments.

My best guess is that Chris is on a Cloud system that is slightly ahead of the one I'm looking at (the upgrades are staggered across the estate, sometimes taking several weeks to get everyone on to "latest available"), and that a suggestion that indexing only be available when JIRA detects a need for it has been implemented in there.

Suggest an answer