Is there a way to test the exported backup file?

Winnie Hsu February 12, 2017

Hi,

I m using JIRA service, i have created backup xml from JIRA and would like to make sure that file is what i expect and is in good state, may i know if there is a way that i can create a test instance and import the backup file so that the import does not override the data?

Regards,

Winnie

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2017

You have answered your own question - "create a test instance and import the backup file"

The import will overwrite all the data in the test instance, but that's the whole point of a backup, it's supposed to recreate the system you backed up.  You can download and install a standalone JIRA instance with which to test this though - do the import on an empty JIRA which you then discard because it's just a backup test.

Winnie Hsu February 12, 2017

I suppose if i need to install a test instance i will need a database which i do not, is there any alternative ? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2017

Yes, but the JIRA downloads come with an internal file/memory based database.  It's no good for production (it will fail, catastrophically, at some point after a while of use), but good enough to run an import to test.

Ideally, you should use the same database as the system you're trying to test, but a test that you can restore exported xml into any database is mostly good enough to prove the xml file is valid.

Suggest an answer