Import only data not configuration

slothstronaut October 5, 2018

Hi there!

Does any of you know a method to only import the data of one instance and migrate it to another without overwriting the existing configuration of that target instance?

The problem with the “Restore System” option is that the configuration of the instance is also wiped when importing from .xml backup of another JIRA instance.
Additionally my source instance is on JIRA 7.8 and the target instance is 7.12, which makes it difficult to import via “Project Import” for not overwriting the global server settings.

Usecase is that im upgrading our production instance by configuring a newer JIRA version in parallel, tweaking settings and so on, and THEN want to migrate the data at day X to be up to date.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2018

I know there is a tool in the market place to move projects, but they may still need to be the same version of JIRA. JIRA doesn't make an provision for doing this. The target JIRA will have different underlying data structures;  the the IDs for all the fields, projects, screens, etc. To make the system work all the IDs must match. I don't know how much tweeking you need to do, but I suggest do a dry run by setting up a new instance, importing a backup and tweeking as needed. That will give you an opportunity to work out any kinks. Then do it for real over the weekend.  In the long run I suspect it will take less time and eliminate errors you would have found in the dry run process.  

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2018

Hello,

You can user export/import features of Jira. You can export data to an csv file and the import csv file to Jira.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2018

Depending on the quantity of data that could be very time consuming, possibly more than the import and tweaking option. Also you'll lose the history data and comments without using is a plugin. 

Suggest an answer