Import issues captured in XML file (like CSV file)

Priyasloka Arya November 25, 2019

Hi 

Is there any plugin which allows importing of issues captured in XML(like CSV file). I am not speaking about XML workflow import.

Regards 

Priyasloka Arya

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2019

Hi Priyasloka,

I understand that you are looking for a solution to be able to take an xml file that contains details of issues, and then import these issues into Jira somehow.   Unfortunately, Jira Server and Cloud do not offer the native ability to import issues aside from the formats of CSV or JSON.   Additionally, in my search of the https://marketplace.atlassian.com site, I was not able to find any publicly available plugins that appear to be able to do this either.

I am curious if perhaps there is a means to convert your existing XML file into one of these other formats, CSV or JSON, and then using the native importers within Jira to complete the process.   I came across a site that seems to have some ability to convert between these formats in http://www.convertcsv.com/xml-to-csv.htm Granted I have not personally used this site myself yet, but it appears to have a number of options in order to help you to convert this data.

If this isn't a desirable approach, could you let me know more about the source of this XML file?  Is this from a different issue tracker? Or by chance are you referring to the Jira XML backup created by the system (this contains two zipped files entitles.xml and active-objects.xml)?   Perhaps if we cannot convert the XML file directly, it might work to try to work backwards to the source of that file and see if we can export in another format from the source.

Please let me know.

Andy

Gerald Neher November 17, 2021

I'm facing the same issue when trying to import the XML file created by Jira Enterprise version 3. Note that the ZIP file created by Jira version 3 only contains one XML file. Trying to convert that into a format that's suitable for importing into the latest Jira version on the Cloud.

peter_boelke March 11, 2022

Looking also for a solution. It is possible to export via XMl from Jira Datacenter but you can't use it import in to a Cloud-Instance. So Export is more or less useless.

Please enable XML-Import

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer