How to set a default value for Description field

I would like to have some text (default value) for the Descriptoin field. How to do this?

1 answer

0 votes

People tend to do this with some injected javascript or (better) add-ons that inject simpilar code into a create screen.  It's not that hard to do "if create screen, then set description = <default text>"

However, every place I've been to that has done it, I've ended up removing it, because they have thousands of pointless or useless issues they have to kill off manually or chase up with <default text> in the description field.

Question why you want to do this, it's usually a waste of time just doing "default description", and often better to have dedicated fields instead, set mandatory.  (For example, on stories, instead of injecting "as a ..., I want to..., so that..." in the description, have the who what and why as three separate mandatory fields)

We are using hosted Jira, so not sure can we do this.

We want to have some default text in Edit and Text fields as a user tip what to insert (contextual help like content).

Good point, on Cloud, there's nothing available to do this that I know of.

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jun 11, 2017

I agree with Nic, it may initially sound like a good idea, but in the long run it isn't

I dont need it for the long run. I need it for one project which will last for a limited time. So, I need it.

It's a moot point - there's no way to do it on Cloud.  (You don't need it in the short term either, it's poor design)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Looking for anyone who made the switch to Data Center

The Jira Marketing team is putting together an ebook on migrating to Data Center. We're looking for pro tips on how you staffed your project team and organized your Proof of Concept. Share yo...

50 views 0 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you