How to restrict user's access to only one project?

Hi,

I added two new users, but did not give them access to any projects. However, they are able to get full administrative view of my business projects... which I don't want them to see. 

Can anyone tell me how to prevent this?

Thanks

3 answers

0 vote

Your permission scheme is giving them full admin views, you'll need to amend the permission scheme or the user accounts to remove that access.

0 vote
Joe Pitt Community Champion Jun 28, 2017

The most common error is adding the jira-users group to the permission scheme.  JIRA works on a Permit, not Restrict model. You GIVE permissions. You can't deny access. I suggest project roles. It allows the project admin to manage access. 

Thanks, I only see this on Business Boards. If this is a common error, then I suggest that Atlassian amends this asap. 

Thank you both for your responses. 

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jun 29, 2017

There really isn't a fix. It clearly states how permissions are given and the jira-users group allows people to logon. It often comes up after they've been using JIRA for awhile and decide they don't want everyone to see a new project. The standard best practice security model is only allow access when needed, not give universal access and then restrict. However, this is how too many JIRA admins think. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,198 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot