How to inherit the value of custom field and summary field from parent issue to sub-task in JIRA?

How to inherit the custom field and summary field values from parent issue to sub-task issue in JIRA?

2 answers

0 vote

You'll need code.  JIRA can default some of the system fields, but that's it.  If you want to "inherit" more, you'll nee to write code to duplicate the things you need.

I'd strongly recommend not duplicating the summary though - it should be indicative of what the sub-task is for as part of the whole, not just a copy of the parent.

So, what is the settings for "Update parameters of the Copy Value From Other Field Function for this transition." and "Update parameters of the Set Field Value from Parent Function for this transition." are not configuring or set the value of field inherited from parent issue to sub-task issue?

Ok, you have an add-on that provides the code you need.

The second function is the one you need - you should find you can select a field and it will be copied when you go through a transition (such as "create")

Where I can do the coding? Anywhere that I can place my coding? Could you tell me more details of the deployment or coding procedures? Thanks!

You don't need to code, you have already installed something that can do it for you!  Have a look at the functions available on the transition you are doing.

You might be interested in this solution with the JIRA Quick SubTasks plugin.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

73 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you