How to hide subtasks in Kanban board

inso2012 March 26, 2020

I have some subtasks in stories. and we set different status as column in the kanban board.

We mainly update the status of subtasks. then when we have many stories with subtasks. then the board looks messy.

is there any way that only display the container(Story)in kanban board instead of expanded container(story) with subtasks.

Please note:

1. subtasks has different status than story (task 1: in progress, task2 blocked), so quick filter for story does not apply to my case

2. in the example above, i expect to see story 1(has task1 and task2) shown in in progress and blocked columns both

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Dave F September 6, 2021

In the Board Settings / Configure Board set Swimlanes to be by Story

0 votes
Evan Underwood-Harley
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2020

Hi,

Under Board > configure you can change the filter query that is being used for the board to exclude subtasks.

You could also add a quick filter that excludes sub tasks, if you want a way to quick filter out the subtasks and get them back.

Regards

Evan

inso2012 March 26, 2020

Thanks Evan, but it's not what i expect. If i exclude the subtasks, I will only filter the stories in my case, but stories could have only status which means could only be shown in one column. But in fact, they are expected to be shown in different columns.

Example: story A has subtasks 1: in progress and subtask 2: todo

Story B has subtask 1: todo, subtask 2: in progress, subtask 3: in testing

I want to know how many and which story is in progress and how many and which story  are in testing. it could not be done with simple quick filter since story could only have one status

Deleted user March 28, 2020

@inso2012 : Just wanted to how would you like to visualize as you rightly said, story can have only one status. May be you would like to see story being moved to "In Progress" when one of the Sub Tasks moves to "In Progress" status?

Quick filters on the top of the board is a good suggestion to play with if you want to see detailed progress and toggle the button in case you want to see detailed status.

In case you are looking for something else specific, can you detailed that out please. 

Suggest an answer