How to define new search templates in Jira?

I am a little bit suprised that I wasn't able to find any information regarding how someone can define a new search template for Jira.

In my case I want to change the search template for a group-pick custom field, so it will list only few groups instead of all groups from Jira, for example groups belonging to another group.

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

What do you mean by "search template"? The only thing I can think of is the .vm that defines what a user sees when you write a "searcher"?

Yep, I assumed there was a place in the UI where I can define new search templates. It wasn't clear that this functionality can be extended only via a plugin. Thanks.

He refers to the templates that are used by the custom fields, "search templates", I'd also like to know how to customize it.

Um, repeating the phrase does not help us understand the meaning. Do you mean the .vm files that are used to generate a page for the user? As they're called templates. Or the searcher type? Or something else?

We have a custom field which is a single selection drop down list which has over 600 entries. The only search template available is very limited and only allows the first part of the value to appear. We'd like it to function like the Epic Name searcher where any part of the value displays. We'd like to select that search template, but it is not listed in the selection.

How can we get that search template to display so we can select it?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

414 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you