How do I create an issue directly on a board?

Tony Wald August 8, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 8.02.35 AM.png

On one of my projects I have the ability to add an issue directly to a board - seen above for reference. However, I cannot seem to replicate this. Can someone please let me know how to do this?

Thank you. 

4 answers

0 votes
chadd May 2, 2021

Next-gen projects that don't use sprints and Business projects both provide this plus button directly in the swimlane.  

There's a ticket to add this to classic projects here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17042

0 votes
James McDermott
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 20, 2021

Pushing 'C' worked a treat on the board, thanks!

mgguinne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 15, 2021

Confirmed this works. Not sure why it's not in the menus etc.

0 votes
Vicknesh Shanmugam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 17, 2018

Hey Tony.

I'm from JIRA Server support team but since I have a test Cloud instance, I managed to test your question in both JIRA Server and the JIRA Cloud. 

JIRA Server does not allow users to create issues directly from the Swimlane/Board. Issues can only be created from backlog (in board). I found the following documentation which shows that JIRA Cloud allows issues to be created directly from Swimlane/Board:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/get-started-with-agility-boards-945104903.html

The documentation is bit unclear but it looks like creating issues from board is only supported in Independent type project. You can read more about the Independent type project from the link below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/creating-editing-and-deleting-independent-projects-942834583.html

I would recommend for you to try creating a test Independent type project in your JIRA and see whether you can create issues directly from the board which is associated with the new project. In case my suggestion did not work, please let us know if your JIRA URL looks like <someentries>.atlassian.net or <someentries>.jira.net. This will at least show us whether you are using Cloud or Server instance.

Tony Wald August 17, 2018

OK thanks I will take a look at this - in the meantime, the URL is atlassian.net

Tony Wald August 17, 2018

Also, any insight on the Quick Filter question?

Vicknesh Shanmugam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

Hey Tony.

I'm not sure what's causing your quick filter to fail. You can proceed to create a ticket from https://getsupport.atlassian.com so one of Cloud support engineer can assist with your quick filter related issue if you are still the problem.

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
August 10, 2018

Hi Tony,

I wasn't able to find the same option on my test instance, if possible, can you please send us another screenshot showing more information of the page?
Are you using Jira Server or Cloud?

Also, testing in a board, it's possible only to press "C" on the keyboard and it opens the "Create issue" page and the ticket is automatically added to the board.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

Tony Wald August 15, 2018

Hi, there 

I believe I am using the Cloud version, but if you can tell me how to verify that information I would appreciate it. 

I have uploaded two more screenshots. As you can see one has the + at the bottom of the lane, which when clicked allows the user to create a new issue right onto that lane. The other doesn't have that option. The "C" shortcut is nice, but it still just puts the new issue onto the backlog. I am wanting to put it directly on the lane, like I can in the screenshot. 

Also, I am finding that my quick filters are no longer accessible did something change? Please see screenshots. Thank you. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.12.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.13.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.14.17 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-15 at 9.14.33 AM.png 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events