How can I limit the number of characters entered into a text field?

Tina Zakszewski November 6, 2017

We are trying to limit the amount of text that can be entered into the Summary and Description fields so that we do not need to read pages prior to finding out what the request is. This would be at the time of the request creation and possibly during editing through the transitions. Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

Summaries are already short text, so 255 character max. 

Description has no limit, and there's no way to cap it on Cloud yet (on server, you could do an ugly validator that would annoy your users by refusing to create or progress the issue until they'd shortened it, or use a behaviour or javascript, or even hack the html to limit it, etc)

Tina Zakszewski November 6, 2017

Thanks for your response, Nic. 250 characters is WAY too much for our summaries. We are looking for Action items as a TITLE, with the short description to follow in the Description field. Even that, we don't want to read through a novella in order to find out what is needed. I guess this will become a STRONG TRAINING TOPIC. :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2017

I'm afraid so.  I very rarely see issues that use anything like the 255 characters, they're usually half a dozen words at most, so I wouldn't expect you need to do a lot of training on that one.  Description more so though...

Suggest an answer