How can I limit the number of characters entered into a text field?

We are trying to limit the amount of text that can be entered into the Summary and Description fields so that we do not need to read pages prior to finding out what the request is. This would be at the time of the request creation and possibly during editing through the transitions. Any thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Summaries are already short text, so 255 character max. 

Description has no limit, and there's no way to cap it on Cloud yet (on server, you could do an ugly validator that would annoy your users by refusing to create or progress the issue until they'd shortened it, or use a behaviour or javascript, or even hack the html to limit it, etc)

Thanks for your response, Nic. 250 characters is WAY too much for our summaries. We are looking for Action items as a TITLE, with the short description to follow in the Description field. Even that, we don't want to read through a novella in order to find out what is needed. I guess this will become a STRONG TRAINING TOPIC. :-)

I'm afraid so.  I very rarely see issues that use anything like the 255 characters, they're usually half a dozen words at most, so I wouldn't expect you need to do a lot of training on that one.  Description more so though...

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

727 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you