Error importing doesn't says no entities.xml, but it's there

Ted D March 1, 2019

I need to import a project from a backup. It looks like it's working then at the last minute it tells me the archive is missing the entities.xml.

https://www.useloom.com/share/20ff4726a2d44b26baad1d573b0f1671

I'm trying to import just one project into a trial version of cloud. I also tried the entire backup untouched, but that gave the same error.

5 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

Hello,

In what application did you take the backup? 

Ted D March 1, 2019

I made the backup in in the backup manager.Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 12.07.22 AM.png

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2019

So you take a backup from a Cloud instance. Which one you choose Backup for server or backup for cloud? Where do you try to restore the backup? to Jira Server or to Jira Cloud?

Ted D March 1, 2019

I select backup for Cloud and try to restore to a trial version of Cloud with only one empty project. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2019

It should work. I would contact Atlassian at https://getsupport.atlassian.com

Atlassian can check your backup and try to restore it to your site.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2019

It is weekend now. If you open a ticket to Atlassian today, I think they will answer you on Monday. On weekends they usually handle only critical tickets. But everything is possible.

Ted D March 1, 2019

I had contacted them and they said to try this. I'll just have to see if they can help.  Thanks.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2019

Hi @Ted D 

May I ask if the entities.xml file is in the root of the zip folder or it is within a folder which is in a folder?

When you said at the last minute it fails, do you mean that you were able to pick the project in the zip file and you started the import process only for it to fail?

Lastly, can you confirm where the backup is from (cloud or server) and can you generate a new backup and try with this instead?

Get us a screenshot of what it says went wrong when you perform the import.

Ted D March 1, 2019

The entities.xml folder is in the root folder of the zip. 

I didn't get asked to pick the project, just picked the zip. It goes for a while, then shows this dialog.

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 12.06.39 AM.pngThe backup is from Cloud and import is into a trial of cloud. I'll try a more recent backup. The one I'm trying to restore is 3 weeks old. More recent ones don't have the missing project I'm trying to restore.

4 votes
Sugandha Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2020

I encountered the same issue when I was trying to restore the backup from one cloud instance to another via mac, chrome browser. The below steps worked for me:

1. I removed the data and logos directory to another folder so that my backup folder only contains the activeobjects.xml and entities.xml file.

2. Then I went inside my backup folder and select both the xmls(activeobjects and entities) and compress them, which created Archive.zip

3. Then I restore the backup on another cloud instance by selecting the Archive.xml file.

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 5.10.50 PM.png

Patrick July 21, 2020

This is an excellent answer and worked perfectly for me. Thank you.

Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 26, 2020

Hi @Sugandha Singh 

I tried this approach but am still getting the same error:

error.png

Any idea what I could be missing?

Matt Sardi May 19, 2022

Major points for @Sugandha Singh , this is exactly what I was missing.  The documentation I had reviewed was very poorly compiled. 

Next question that I have is: 
If I'm trying to copy my production site to POC and do not want to grant any additional users a license to this page, is there a way to work around this error? 

Import error

There was an error importing file activeobjects.zip. Following issues were reported:

• The number of users you're importing is more than the number of licenses you have in this cloud site. Either add more users to this cloud site by upgrading your license, or reduce the number of licensed users in your Jira server or data center instance, take a backup, and import again.
Sugandha Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 26, 2022
3 votes
Anuradha Das April 30, 2019

I had the same issue even after multiple tries.Then I removed the topmost folder so that zip file had data and both .xml directly under it. It went on smoothly.

Laci Kremer April 26, 2021

Thanks Anuradaha Das, your answer helped. 

• MacOS Big Sur
  • from cloud to cloud instance (actually from live site to the sandbox)
  • I choosed only to back up the data so deselected attachments
  • Create backup for cloud
  • Download cloud backup

Using Safari this ended up downloading a zip that auto-uncompressed. When doing the same with Chrome, I got the zip only.

The problem is that there is a folder that has the two files. I compressed only the files, uploaded the zip, works ok.

Probably a bug, I guess there is already a bugreport about it.

0 votes
Andrew Graves June 22, 2023

I tried several workaround solutions that you've suggested from the above, I still end up getting the same error.

Has there been a bug report filed?

Suggest an answer