Epics with Status of Closed have Resolution of Unresolved. How do I fix ?

Michael Green January 29, 2020

HI,

I have come in to take over and run new projects for this company.  They have an existing version of Jira server and  a number of projects 'in flight' - mostly Kanban based projects rather than full Scrum.

When I look at the Issue list and filter by Epic there are a lot of Epics showing as :

Status = Closed

Resolution = Unresolved.

After doing some more querying I found a whole lot of issues of different types that are 'Resolution = Unresolved' but 'Status = Closed"...….. 3279 issues to be precise :(

How do I fix these ?

EpicClosedButUnresolved.png

3 answers

1 vote
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Hi @Michael Green 
I think you will have to re-open it and follow the workflow to change the resolution : (here is the workflow in my company)
Capture.PNG

Moreover, in a Backlog, if you want to hide an Epic, you must "Mark as Done" BEFORE passing to the "Evaluated" status!

Hope it helps!

0 votes
Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

Hi @Michael Green 

Welcome to the community!

I suggest checking the workflow for the affected project as the transition to the Close status needs to have the set resolution post function configured. 

You can also configure this using a screen. For more details, please check this article :

Do let us know if you have any further questions. 

Regards,
Adrian Stephen

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 29, 2020

In addition to my reply above, if you have a lot of issues without resolutions set, you can follow the steps in this KB article to fix it :

Like Sarthak Bansal likes this
Michael Green February 2, 2020

Thanks Adrian.  When I dug further into this I found 3279 issues across all projects that had 'Resolution = Unresolved' but 'Status = Closed".

They are of all different types but most of them are sub-tasks.

Any other ideas on easier ways to update this Resolution field to Resolved without having to reopen issues / re-follow work flows ?

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
February 3, 2020

You're welcome @Michael Green 

Unfortunately no :(

The easier method is as mentioned on that article which is to use the Script Runner Method (third party add-on). 

0 votes
Lenin Raj
Atlassian Team
January 29, 2020

HI @Michael Green 

Do you see an option to 'Mark as resolved' under the 'More' dropdown?

Michael Green February 2, 2020

Unfortunately no :(.  Is there a way to turn that on ? or made the field editable ?

Suggest an answer