Enabling Resolution with next-gen software projects

Jeremy Estey October 30, 2019

Hi,

I want my users to select a "resolution" when they close an issue. Jira's default resolution options are available in the "Resolve Issue" workflow for all of my classic projects, and I can change the screens and workflows for any individual classic project. But I cannot find a way to get "Resolution" to appear at all in my next-gen software projects. I have site admin and project admin permissions. The "Project Settings" just looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 4.04.18 PM.png

I have tried adding a custom dropdown field called "Resolution" from the project "Issue Types" settings, but this is inadequate as this field can be updated before the issue is actually resolved. Please advise. Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 31, 2019

Hello Jeremy,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Next-gen projects were created with the purpose to be more simple and with fewer features than classic projects and one of the features that were not added was to select a resolution. 

We understand that resolution is an important field and sometimes we don't want to set it as just Done, because some tickets are duplicated, for example, and it's easy to let people know through the resolution instead of them to open the ticket and check the last comment to see why the ticket is done.,

With that said, we created a feature request suggesting to add the ability to customize the resolution field:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive updates about the feature.

If you have any other question regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Tim Rutter February 21, 2020

Its not just nice to have that to see why they were closed in a list, its also allows items to be searched by resolution.  You might want to see how many bugs are being created by a user that are being rejected as not a bug for example.  This is an odd ommission in my opinion

Like # people like this
Scott_Stephan March 30, 2020

We also have 2 sets of things that make a task "Resolved"- Marking something an DNF, but also Done. Are you suggesting there's only one way for a task to be considered done?

Like Andreas Rath likes this
shweta@factorfox.com April 3, 2020

So that means we cannot set a resolution in nextgen projects?

Like # people like this
Andreas Rath May 18, 2020

This is a cruicial feature!

How do we deal with issues we do not want to fix? @Angélica Luz 

Like # people like this
Lewis_ Lauren February 11, 2021

I'm so frustrated by this. If an issue is moved to Done, its resolution should be resolved. full stop. My filters depend on this, and now next-gen projects are gumming up the works because I can't select the resolution field under workflow transitions, which also has been moved under board settings. This is very disappointing. If you're going to make major UX changes, it should be easier to use, not harder. I'm really curious how folks new to Jira feel about Next-Gen. As someone who's been using the software for 5 years, it's devastating. I feel like Atlassian is disregarding loyal customers who've used and suggested their products. All of the previous knowledge I had about the software feels obsolete. Not a fan.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Rich Barron April 21, 2020

2 things we did on our end. 1) we added a column to some boards named Invalid or Won't Do or something like that. 

2) We added Labels to the card view and added labels for invalid, won't do and duplicate so these are easily seen on the board when in the Done column if you do not add the column.

Just our workaround for this for now. 

Mirjana Davcheva May 20, 2020

Yes I did it the same way 

Jimmy Börjesson May 21, 2020

How did you add labels to the Card View in a next-gen project? It seems to me as that feature is only available in Classic.

Gábor Kovács June 9, 2020

It appears by default.

Like Jimmy Börjesson likes this
Jimmy Börjesson June 9, 2020

D'oh

Adam Marynowski August 21, 2020

Actually, it looks like it is possible to set the resolution in Next-gen project via Automation tasks (Project settings -> Apps -> Automation).

Like # people like this
sana_kabir December 13, 2020

Hi Adam 

Can you explain how to add resolution filed using this Automation option.

i want to edit workflow to mark DONE transition as Resolution but this is not appearing in my Edit flow list ,

Urgent help is required

Suggest an answer