Emails going in indefinate loop in jira in mail handler

Neeta Dubey November 6, 2013

Hi,

i have configured a mail handler in jira which creates a new ticket if email to a particuar email id; howeer i have made it in such a way that who do not hold account in jira should be able to create ticket via as I have disabled create new user check box. Now a user who doest hold account in jira has sent email to that email id which spamed his mailbox by error emails from JIRA. How can i stop this error emails from jira?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Neeta,

I just reread everything you've said so far.

I think you just need to remove the email adres from the Forward Email field in your Email handler.

Don't check the create users box and don't fill in the default reporter.

I hope that will help solve the problem.

If you do fill in a default reporter a ticket will be made even when the user is not known to jira, that's not what you want.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes

okay so if i setup a default reporter will this create a ticket? I do not want ticket to be created if any unknown user is sending email.

0 votes

What shall i set this defaul reporter field to? Also the person sending the email should become the reporter. i am not sure if setting this fiel will solve our problem?

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2013

Neeta,

You'll need to fill in the following field :

Best regards,

Peter

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Hi Neeta,

If you do not check the create users box you'll need to fill in a default reporter (as reporter is a required field in Jira). This can be a user you've created especially for this purpose (for example : Mail-user)

If people who do already have an account in Jira will send an email this default reporter will be overwritten with their account information.

If you want new people to be set up as reporter you'll need to check the create users box.

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Hi Neeta,

This is probably caused by the fact that you disabled create new user check. If you disable this then somebody who isn't a jira user can't create a ticket unless you have filled in the Default reporter field.

What is the error message you are getting?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

I need to keep create new user uncheck so it will prevent from getting new user added to our system. I am attaching the screen shot of error message.

Ihave to keep create new user unchecked so they doesnt get added into our system. I am attaching the screen shot of error message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error was encountered whilst handling messages from the mail server

"0116IL3523 - BI - Mobile Reporting Pilot" using the handler "class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.mail.handlers.CreateOrCommentHandler".

The error was:

------------------------

"Message appears to have been sent by JIRA. JIRA's mail handler is configured to forward these messages to avoid mail loops."

------------------------

The error and the email that caused the error are attached to this email.

If this is a recurring problem, you may wish to contact a system administrator to check the parameters of your mail fetching service:

--

template.footer.text

template.footer.text.incorrect

template.footer.text.info

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2013

Hi Neeta,

Did you fill in a default reporter in your mail handler?

And has this default reporter perhaps the same email address than your jira?

Best regards,

Peter

i have only below field configured.

Project, Issue type, Bulk: Ignroe the email and do nothing, Forward email:" this is email id where users are sending email" Notify users" checked and CC Assignee . i do not have default reporter set to any thing.

okay so if i setup a default reporter will this create a ticket? I do not want ticket to be created if any unknown user is sending email.

Suggest an answer