Email Notifications on a per user basis

wolfgang_ihloff February 7, 2013

Hi,

we know about the capability of configuring our notification scheme as described here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme

However that is global for all users, that is fine for a start, however I am wondering if we can disable some notifications on a per user basis, eg. the work logged, so that a user could disable receiving these notifications?

Thanks,

Wolfgang

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Azfar Masut
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

How I manage this in my 10k users instance of JIRA DC is, to create a role based notification setup - after getting lots and lots of complaints from the users

Create a set of new roles, purely for Notification. Example:

1. Notification Role(active)
  2. Notification Role(mild)
  3. Notification Role(none)

In notification scheme, set notification based on these role.

For role active, i selected that notifications will be sent based on all possible JIRA's action (issue created in project, issue updated/reassign etc)

For role mild, only for key action (comment added,issue transitioned within the project) notification will be sent

For role none, none selected 

I still however keep default 'reporter'/'current assignee' type notification enabled for mentions or issue assigned stuff. Anything that is considered vital notification, so user by default, would only receive notification on issue assigned or reported by them and wont get spam by other relevant notifications

Project admin can then control the notification themselves by assigning users accordingly to the project roles.

David Willson October 14, 2020

This is totally the way to do this.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Answer accepted
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2013

Hey there, Wolfgang.

Perhaps one of the approach that you can look at is to create a group that does not include the user(s) that you do not want them to receive the notification and assign the respective notification to that group?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme#CreatingaNotificationScheme-Addinganeventrecipienttoanotificationscheme

That is just one of the quick ideas that I can think of on top of my head. Let me know your thoughts.

Warm regards,

Danial

Michel Jung February 6, 2014

Seriously, as much as I love JIRA, the lack of notification customization by users is very annoying. Currently, I have to create schemes for single users. Or I have to ask them to create Rules in outlook to delete unwanted e-mails. Please, Atlassian, implement this feature. JRA-2644 has been waiting over 7 years now.

Tom Harrison April 17, 2018

Welp, that was 2014, now it's 2018, so 11 years?

James Ryan February 6, 2019

How is this considered "SOLVED". There is no viable solution here.

Like Christian Petersen likes this
Samira Negm April 9, 2019

this doesnt work, as I have to assign the notification to project not a group

Rajiv Pardiwala October 7, 2019

Agreed, this does not work.  Jira generates too many useless emails and there is no good way to filter using outlook because the headings are not consistent.  Are there alternatives to Jira that offer this kind of functionality?

rohit March 3, 2020

Guys, in this case you can update users email id in wrong way in JIRA user details information. So, he will not get email notifications.

We can use this Idea till Atlassian team can invent the update for this.

8 votes
florian-epotek May 9, 2018

How in the world is there still no way to do this...? I can't believe the top hit for my google search is this lousy forum thread.

Suggest an answer