Does Jira support data validation in custom fields?

Heather Burns February 15, 2018

I'm new to Jira so be gentle :)

I was hoping to use Jira for issue tracking in a very special way.  I found that as a Admin I can create Issues with custom fields, but can I make those fields have data validation that changes based on the project?

example might help.   We do audit work with several customers - each customer has pre-defined scenarios - I'd like to quickly create an issue that includes what scenario it is targeting.  Customer A's issue creation should only show Customer A's scenarios as options, when working on Customer B's audit the issue creation should only show Customer B's scenarios... but in both cases issues should have a required custom field for Scenario.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2018

Hi Heather,

You can setup a custom field context based on a project or a issue type. Meaning the custom field will have different options depending on the project or issue type.

To validate, make the field required and or check validate on the workflow.

Configuring a custom-field context

0 votes
Phantom Automata May 25, 2022

Check out our app that provides new custom field types with rich validation options: Validated custom fields for Jira.

0 votes
Brian Oconnell April 8, 2020

Dead link above.

Suggest an answer