Display Custom fields in JIRA view screen

Samuel May 9, 2014

Hi,

We are trying to use the field as below (red circle); like,

- Last Commented

- Participants

- Last commented by

We know that, these fields come along with JIRA Tool Plugin, how to add in the screen as below?

- does the :participants" and "last touched by" fileds automatically show the user multi users worked in an issue or we have to manually add the users in that field. I also tried to add the "Participants" field into the screen, but it didn't work.

Please let us know how these field works?

Thanks for your help in advance.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Samuel May 16, 2014

I was trying to add the field that shows the user name who last commented/updated the status, but i got it now. There is a field type available in JIRA for this.

Thanks Nic.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2014

Add all of the fields to the view screen - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

One common confusion is that the plugin provides field *types*, not fields. You can actually add several instances of each field type, with different names (it's utterly pointless, the data displayed is the same)

Also note that these are display fields - they won't show on edit screens because they have no templates for editing.

Once you've created the fields, you'll be able to add them to the view screens.

Finally, when you've added them, they will only start working after each existing issue is indexed - either do a full re-index, or you can just wait, as any change to an issue re-indexes it.

Samuel May 13, 2014

I noticed that it also depend upon the field type. Like the field above in snapshot "Last Commented by" how it picks the users by recent comment?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2014

I'm not sure what that means here. Add the fields to the screen, you'll see their contents.

Samuel May 13, 2014

Thanks Nic, but how that filed "last commented by" will know that who is the last commenter - This is confusing me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2014

I'm sorry, I don't understand that comment either. What are you actually asking here?

0 votes
Maria Andrea Famini February 19, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Regarding the Participant field, it is not showing on the Jira New View. We have set it in the Issue Layout, but it is still not showing. The Participant field is only shown when using the old view. Is it a bug? Or am I missing some configuration? We are using Jira Cloud.  Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 20, 2019

The  new issue view does not yet support that type of field.

0 votes
Samuel May 9, 2014

The "Participants" Field is working now, I missed to add it into the Screen actually. Can you please let me know, how other fields work?

Suggest an answer