Different issue types

Aggeliki K January 29, 2021

Hello,

I would like to ask why an enterprise would choose to have different issue types for its issues. We are having JSD installed and in use for about 2 years now, using one single incident for different kinds of IT issues of one project and I was wondering if we should introduce new issue types and whether that would make our work easier or not!

Thank you in advance,

Aggeliki

3 answers

0 votes
Aggeliki K January 29, 2021

Jack, Alexis, 

Different workflows would be a reason for us to use different types in the future.

Thank you both for your answers.

Regards,

Aggeliki

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

Several possible reasons for different “issuetypes”:

• you want different workflows
  • you want different permission schemes
  • you want different notifications
  • various automation possible actions
0 votes
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2021

Hi @Aggeliki K , 

different issue types can represent another issue lifecycle, and have its own workflow, custom fields, etc.

For example, you're only using Incident today. Maybe sometime in the future, you'll need to handle new features : in this case, the workflow might be different from the one for incidents, and the information you require will be different too.

That's (one) of the reasons why you can use different issue types in Jira.

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis

Suggest an answer