DB migration from oracle to PostgreSQL

Sandesh Shetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

In my organization we are using Oracle DB for Jira, We want to migrate the data from Oracle to PostgreSQL. If any one tried this migration, please help me to achive this. Please explain the practical challenges i can expect while migrating data from Oracle to PostgreSQL. Suggest any third-party tool to achive this.

note :We are using Jira Software 7.13.1

3 answers

2 votes
Shankar Asam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2019

Just another suggestion, if your JIRA isn't large enough you can try generating an XML backup from JIRA (which was connected to Oracle DB) and then restore the XML backup file on to another JIRA (with the same version) and could be connected to PostgreSQL DB. If this is successful, you can restore attachments & install add-ons. 

Please see this Atlassian article for more info:-

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver076/switching-databases-945110809.html#Switchingdatabases-differenttype 

-Shankar

0 votes
Huang QinYin April 9, 2024
0 votes
Henry Zhao December 19, 2019

great article, really helps!

Suggest an answer