Custom fields visibility

Hi All

We had 5 custom fields on a project and some issues entered data for those custom fields. Now, going forward i do not want users to view those custom fields. So , what i have thought of is to remove those custom fields from the custom field context.

Is it the right approach to limit custom field visibility at project level or would you recommend creating a new issue type screen scheme for that project and removing it from the screens(leaving custom field context as it is).

My concern is what will happen to those issues which has data against those custom fields after i make the change?

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

To address the last bit of the question, if you change field configurations, context, screens, or anything else, then the data within the fields becomes inaccessible.

But not deleted. You have to deliberately blank the data out, or delete the field completely in order to destroy the data stored against issues.

Thanks Nic, that answers my question

Rahul

Hi Rahul

You could use a Field Configuration Scheme to simply hide those fields in all projects that are associated with this field configuration.

You can read more about the field configurations here :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Specifying+Field+Behaviour

Best regards,

Peter

Removing it from the project context is the right thing to do. The data will still remain unless the custom field is deleted. The issue will not show it, that's all.

Thanks Jobin

I thought so but wanted to confirm

Rahul

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

40 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you